Vegetarian Confetti Black Bean Chili with Sweet Corn Salsa Muffins




The Husband has been out of town lately, so I've been cooking a few meatless meals.  To go with the 12" of snow we received yesterday (yeah, I had to throw that in!) I decided to make a nice pot of chili. Without meat. My high school son, who actually ENJOYED debate class (takes after his father) said I couldn't call it chili.  I could call it soup. I could call it stew, but not chili. I looked it up. According to the International Chili Society, Traditional Red Chili is defined as
"any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden.  No garnish is allowed."
Wikipedia defines chili sauce as:
"spicy sauce made primarily from chili powder and/or chopped fresh chili peppers." 
SON 2
MOM 0

In response to that argument, here's what I have to say.  "I'm the mom and even though your dinner contains no meat and lots of beans and technically no chili powder, it's still delicious and I can call it chili if I want to."  I've always been good at debate like that.

He agreed with the delicious part.



I often begin my soups/stews/chili with the following:  2 cups onions, 2 cups carrots, 2 cups celery.  Not only does it create delicious flavor, but it bulks up the veggies and I'm all about bulking up the veggies.  I added Worcestershire sauce for a meaty flavor, cumin for smokiness and agave nectar to balance out the acidity.  If I weren't serving this to four children, I would have also thrown in some red pepper flakes for heat.  Know your audience I always say!



Next for some really amazing cornbread, and I say that because my kids don't even like cornbread, but they loved these muffins!


They FINALLY opened a Trader Joe's in our neck of the woods (Yay!) and this was yesterday's sample:  Cornbread mix with Corn and Chili Salsa. 




 It was super moist and the salsa gave it just the right kick.  Just follow the recipe on the box and add 1/2 a jar (about 1 cup) of salsa!  How simple is that?


Confetti Black Bean Chili
by Rachel @ Simple Girl

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups onions, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
2 cups celery, diced
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
2 cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

Saute' the diced onions, celery and carrots in a stock pot or dutch oven, 5-10 minutes until softened.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.  Adjust seasoning.  Simmer on the stove for 30-45 minutes. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add more stock.


THIS POST MAY BE LINKED TO: MONDAYS MADE BY YOU MONDAY, FLOUR ME WITH LOVEMANIC MONDAYTUESDAYSTALENT SHOW TUESDAYS,TRICK OR TREAT TUESDAY ,  MANDY'S RECIPE BOX  WEDNESDAYS: WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY, GINGER SNAP CRAFTSTHE DIY DREAMER  THURSDAYS: FULL PLATE THURSDAYSLAMBERTS LATELY,FRIDAYS: I’M LOVING IT, FOODIE FRIDAY, TATERTOTS AND JELLOFRIDAY FAVORITES, BACON TIME ,WEEKEND RETREATPINWORTHY PROJECTS SATURDAYS:SWEETS FOR A SATURDAY SIX SISTERS STUFFSUNDAYS: NIFTY THRIFTY THINGS

Comments

perfect meal to go with your perfect minnesota weather. (is atlanta looking good right now?)
Mindie Hilton said…
Chili and cornbread, my hubs fave, one of mine too. Very cool! Thanks for sharing at the Anything Goes linky at Bacon Time. Hope to see you again tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia