White Bean and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip


There are two things I love about fall.  The beautiful, radiant leaves.  And Football.  That's right. I said it.  The "F" word. It might be a surprise to some of you.  For those of you who did not know me BP (Before Perry), I will tell you that I grew up in a household void of all things football.  My dad never watched a football game on TV. We never set out a tail-gate spread before attending a college match-up. And Super Bowl Sunday meant one thing.  Shopping. (The malls are way less crowded!)

The very first Thanksgiving that said Husband ever spent with my family, my mom went all out.  She had her finest linens and china on the table, multiple side dishes in the oven and a plated first course salad.  Perry leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Where's the football game?" I had no idea what he was talking about.  This was in stark contrast to HIS family's Thanksgiving where the turkey dinner was meticulously scheduled around half-time and enjoyed by the men on TV trays in the basement.  That was his normal.  This was mine.

Over time, our lives have blended and I now look forward to Friday Night High School games, Saturday College games and Sunday NFL games where we gather with (mostly his) family, sharing conversation and great food.


Recently, my sister-in-law brought this delightful (and healthful) take on hummus. (Just be sure you use cannellini beans and not chick peas!)  The sweetness of the sun-dried tomatoes and the savory garlic will keep you eating until the pita chips are gone!



Aunt Pam's White Bean and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip

1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon onion powder
pinch of cayenne
1 3-4 ounce jar of sun-dried tomatoes, drained and patted dry
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives

Place all ingredients except the chives in a food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Before serving, garnish with chives and serve with pita chips.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia